Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A New Year

Today is but the last day of an old year. 2013 had her joys but alas she also had her sorrows. Though some may miss her, and some may not, it's time we move on to our next mistress; 2014. What she will bring is unknown and what power she may wield we have yet to discover. One thing that is true to each and every one of us is the promise of a simple resolution. What is it that you desire from 2014? Are your bones aching for a new profession? Perhaps your soul yearns for love. Does your mind desire knowledge, or does it seek peace? The famous question that will float around the dinner table tonight is simply put: What is your New Year's Resolution? I have chosen to be more openminded.

As 2013 comes to an end, I look back on the 300 and some odd days of old and analyze my year. What was it that brought me pain and suffering? Was it the transition of academic schools? Was it the solitude that I experienced time and time again? And what of the moments that brought me hope and promise for my future? Was it the love of new friendships? Or perhaps the seconds when stress was irrelevant, and laying under the night sky with the stars glistening down on me forged a stop in time altogether. Was it the fortune of discovering new knowledge of myself and who I perceive as the man I so desire to be? Each and every day of 2013 brought upon a different feel. Every morning I'd open my eyes and a new page in my life would begin its writing process. Sometimes the ink would smear, and sometimes the pen would quit on me, but I mustered through it. In the end, we all have a rather enormous book of each year in our lives. And you know? I may not have been satisfied with this year's edition of the Story of Matthew Jay Wilson, but that does not mean I won't for next year's. Once the clock strikes midnight a fresh blank novel begins, and it's my decision on what is written within. Though I do not know what lies ahead, I do know that I will make my own choices and I will write a new chapter in my life. Yes there will be pain, that much is inevitable, but there will also be joy. I know it to be true. So give me the quill and give me the ink. 2014, I'm coming for you.

Each day is a new sandwich...

No comments:

Post a Comment